Wednesday 25 November 2015

Reclaiming My Identity

When I first started this blog over a year ago, It was a place for me to get my feelings out, talk about my day, do something for me and I guess to get my creative juices flowing again. At school I so desperately wanted to work for a magazine. I even went onto higher education to study media- focusing on digital imaging and writing,  I made a website for a small pop group and designed flyers for club nights when I lived in London. It actually feels crazy to read that as I feel like i've completely lost my identity since having children.

After reading an Instagram post about having an identity out of being mum from the lovely Natalie (who is hugely inspiring by the way!) so many other mums replied with exactly what I was thinking myself. I know when you have children things change, thats natural but when your identity completely changes and theres nothing you can think of in the present that resembles how you were pre kids it's not good. I gave up thinking i could wear what i wanted just because I couldn't lose that last stone of baby weight, I was too old, the other mums I now spent time with didn't dress the same etc. I'm hardly the best role model for my children when I don't feel confident as the person who brought them into the world.

So off i went to my wardrobe to realise that i'd sold most of my old dresses. "It's Okay" I thought, tights, denim shorts and a t shirt- apparently in the 4 years i've not worn tights my legs have either elongated (or widened ;) ) or the tights have shrunk-Yeah right!!! Time to do some selling and cheer my wardrobe up a bit. I'm looking forward to charity shop trips, customising and acessorising and building back up that confidence I once had. As for going back to my creative roots, I have made a start on getting super organised. I now schedule at least 2 hours when the children are at school to have a coffee and blog, write down ideas, play around editing photos and get that "me" time. I definitely think that having a little designated desk area helps but more on that in a future post.


No comments:

Post a Comment